Canberra is the capital of Australia, so it is bound to be a special place. Not only is it the city where the Australian government makes important decisions, Canberra is a hub for Australian history, culture, and industry.
Canberra has a cool vibe thanks to its diverse community and prevalence of young professionals. Visitors to Canberra will enjoy taking in museums and galleries as well as travelling outside the city for wine tasting and hiking. Canberra is the perfect vacation spot with a blend of urban and rural attractions.
Getting in and around Canberra
Canberra International Airport is a major airport within Australia. The airport is serviced my major airlines including Virgin Blue and Qantas, as well as Brindabella and Tiger Airways. On any given day, travellers can fly to Canberra via Canberra International Airport from almost all of the major Australian cities. Travellers can also travel to Canberra by bus or train from Melbourne and Sydney.
As a major city, Canberra has a public transportation system that makes getting around very convenient for tourists. ACTION buses are a great way to get around town. However, some say that the buses are difficult to navigate and the reliability and affordability have decreased. The city is also very friendly for cyclists and getting around by bike is very manageable. Canberra Car Hire
Car hire is always a possibility for getting around Canberra. You can rent a car at the airport or after you arrive at your hotel.
^ Back to top
Canberra is a mega centre for industry and education which means that the tourism industry caters to professionals and leisure travellers. The hotel scene in Canberra caters to both groups with luxurious, modern accommodations that are also quite affordable. Travellers to Canberra can enjoy an excellent stay at a nice hotel without paying a fortune.
^ Back to top
- Novotel Canberra Hotel The Novotel Canberra Hotel is great for convenient yet luxurious travelling. This property is close to convention centres, dining, and transportation.
- Diamant Hotel This sleek hotel features chic decor and impeccable service for travellers looking for a bit of luxury in Canberra.
- Hotel Kurrajong is a charming boutique hotel with great amenities and personal attention situated in a historic building.
- Hyatt Hotel Canberra Travellers always know what to expect when they choose Hyatt, and the Hyatt Hotel Canberra meets every expectation and more.
- Rydges Eagle Hawk Resort offers motel style accommodations just outside the hustle and bustle of Canberra.
- Rydges Lakeside Canberra This property is surprisingly chic and fresh considering the affordable room rates. The great location and affordability make it an ideal place to stay.
- Canberra City YHA This popular backpacker's chain continues to provide quality budget accommodation in Canberra.
- Victor Lodge Victor Lodge in Canberra offers free breakfast and parking along with quality affordable accommodation.
Things to do in Canberra
Canberra has more attractions, museums, and activities than many cities in Australia. Tourists are in no danger of running out of things to do. In fact, you could probably spend a whole week in just one of Canberra's museums. Here are just a few things to keep you busy while in Canberra.
Australian War Memorial. Catch up on Australia's military history at this premier Canberra museum. The museum features extraordinary exhibits and memorabilia and best of all, it's free!
Parliament House of Australia. See where the Australian government makes it's decisions at the Parliament House of Australia. Tourists can also tour the Old Parliament House, which was an active government building from the 1920s until the late 1980s.
National Museum of Australia. This museum managed to ruffle a few feathers in the museum world by arranging its artefacts by concept instead of in chronological order.
Australian National Botanical Gardens. The Australian National Botanical Gardens is known for having the largest selection of plants and flowers that are native to Australia. During the summertime, the gardens actually feature live jazz music on some evenings.
^ Back to top
Day trips in and around Canberra
Lake Burley Griffin. There are tons of ways to take in Lake Burley Griffin from kayaks to paddle boats to canoes. Get some exercise and experience one of Canberra's primary features.
Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve. Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve is located just forty short minutes outside of Canberra and serves as a sanctuary for Australia's natural beauty. Take a guided tour of the beautiful grounds as nature intended them to be.
Wine tasting. Canberra is actually situated in one of Australia's wine regions and wine tasting and winery touring are a great way to spend a day. Wine tasting tours are available to many of the wineries.
Royal Australian Mint. If you've ever been curious as to where Australian coins come from, you can see them being made at the Royal Australian Mint. A unique day is guaranteed at this tourist attraction.
^ Back to top